City which was on the National Road. In 1847, the merchants of Hagerstown financed their own 7 mile canal extension. At Harrison, the Whitewater also connected with the 25 mile Cincinnati and Whitewater Canal of Ohio, completed in 1843. Destructive floods in the narrow valley, inadequate financial returns, and the railroad doomed the waterway.
Pictured: The Whitewater Canal at Metamora
An excellent Journey along the Whitewater